Monday 14 October 2013

Encapsulates in words things I could never have said.. or wouldn't let myself say!
Also, the most beautiful piece of writing I've read in the longest while.

"I will not go to war for you. The rival would be a soft thing whose worst crime was more comforting that my best deed. I see you look at her and the dust blows away from my breast. I’ve spent too much time not learning the color of your eyes to finally do so when they are waterlogged and veined. For now, your eloquence is enough, almost too much, a soft finger stroking a deviant hair away from my brow.

I’m not anti-social, darlin’. I’m just a fan of the grassy alternative to the battle field, even with its garter snakes and spider webs. Do you fancy wild flowers? I’ll return with a bouquet one day.

My hands are stiff from the rust of previous campaigns waged with the sternum’s shield. Some reluctant, others driven by something unstoppable which almost resulted in me believin’ in God, Cupid, and the Easter Bunny. I am unscathed yet there is an indention in my bed, which I enjoy both occupied and vacant; for the first time in a year, I can stretch onto those threadbare floral sheets, gazing past my sinking ceiling, the stammering celestial light-years above, and into my own dreams, my sleep logged with fantasies of incomplete characters.

Including you.Today, I wondered what would have happened if we’d met one year earlier; if I was the one who removed your earmuffs, making your ears vulnerable to the blinding realism of both equality and lust; whispered that taboo word, “forever”, into your ear; held your hand on a cobblestone pedestrium while making sure all five athletic fingers were still intact; charmed your parents.

One year earlier? I would’ve begged  for two more; the time to wander away and develop into something better, more fit. In this space between wist and contentment, I’ve fallen for someone which isn’t you: Fate, her uneven warrior legs racing around the clock, still managing to outrun the three of us. I will not go to war for you."

-Fonseca del sur

No comments:

Post a Comment